Unless you’ve been living under a rock, chances are you’ve heard about starting Keto diet. With celebs from Kim and Kourtney Kardashian to Gwyneth Paltrow publicly declaring their love for the eating plan, the popularity of Keto has skyrocketed.
So what is the Keto diet, anyway? Short for ketogenic, it’s a low carb, moderate protein, and high-fat diet that purports to put the body into a metabolic state known as ketosis. See complete details here.
But before you give keto a try, keep in mind that it’s way better to start a keto diet the right way and avoid the mistakes others make. That way you can enjoy the benefits of the diet faster and with better results.
- Feeling Sad/Mood Swings: Human’s are slave to carbs as it stimulates dopamine/pleasure hormone , and it hurts not to have pleasure !!! You might have mood swings early on. But Don’t worry ! It goes away once you are into Keto. There are ways to know if you are in keto. Check here.
- Lot of Peeing: You tend to pee a lot and you loose electrolytes -magnesium, potassium, sodium etc. so drink a lot of water and and replenish your salts frequently.
- Leg/Muscle cramps – Lack of some salts like magnesium might give you cramps for some days but you can overcome them easily by adding supplement to your diet. See complete article here.
- Constipation – Digestive issues such as constipation and diarrhea are common side effects in the beginning. Get good quality pro-biotic or take magnesium citrate(supplement) at bed time. Adding lots of low carb veggies and Psyllium tablets also help a lot.
- Insomnia: One of the biggest issue reported by keto followers is loss of sleep, especially when they first change their diet. However, this usually improves in a matter of weeks. Supplements like magnesium glycinate supplement should help as well.
- Short Term Fatigue: The initial switch to a keto diet brings in weakness and fatigue to some. These often cause people to quit the diet before they get into full ketosis and reap the benefits. These are normal since your body is switching to a new system. So hang on. To reduce fatigue during this switch, you may want to take electrolyte supplements.
- Bad Breath: A common side effect on most low carb diet it bad breath.This is caused by elevated ketone levels. The specific culprit is acetone, a ketone that exits the body in your urine and breath.Use sugar-free gum to solve the issue. Check the label for carbs as some of them are deceiving .
Summary: After several decades of running on a carb, you are forcing your body to a new fuel system and it take some time to adapt to a different system. This switch doesn’t happen overnight. It generally requires 7–30 days before you are in full ketosis.
All the listed stuff happens to most and should not discourage your from going full on Keto Diet.
Good luck on your journey!!! Check Out some great Keto recipes here.