If you are a person who is just beginning their Keto journey and have absolutely no idea how to spice it up, you are at the right place. We have a list of Top 7 Keto spices that we think deserve a home in your pantry.
It can be daunting to find a recipe you want to try out only to discover you have to make your way to the grocery store and buy a bunch of spices for it that you have never heard of before. This would have been easier if you had some more spices in your cabinet already, wouldn’t it? Fret not, we are here to help.
Since this list is subjective and not exclusive, feel free to disagree with our choices and include your own.
1. Turmeric –
- Keto diet with turmeric immensely boost your anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric is a great source of curcuminoids, which are a great antioxidant.
- Blood sugar imbalances and insulin resistance contribute to massive amounts of inflammation that lower your body’s functional capabilities.
- 1 tsp of Turmeric has 2gm of carbs , so you can use it like 1/2 tsp in every meal.
2. Cinnamon :-
- Cinnamon helps to improve insulin receptor activity and inhibit enzymes that block insulin receptors.
- a very powerful anti-oxidant that prevents inflammatory conditions that damage cell membranes and insulin receptors,regulates blood sugar level , reduce cholesterol levels, helps digestion, relieves joint pain, improves blood circulation and relieves menstrual pain.
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon has 2 gm of net carbs , can be used in fat bombs/coffee .
3. Fenugreek Seed :-
- Helps in reducing LDL(bad cholesterol), also it lower’s the glucose absorption in the intestines, which help’s lowering blood sugar levels in patients with diabetes.
- 1 tsp has s 2gm total carb, can be used in Cauliflower rice / Tortillas
4. Cumin seeds –
- One of the widely used spice which belongs to family of parsley.
- Cumin seeds are loaded with iron and dietary fiber. Other important nutrients in cumin seeds include manganese, copper, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc.
- Cumin seeds also contain small amounts of vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, and vitamins B1, B2, B3, and folate.
- Cumin seeds are a rich source of beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin.
- It helps in digestion, lowering cholesterol ,increases immunity, helps in osteoporosis, helps fighting cancer, helps in memory related disorder.
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds has .93 gram of carbs.
5. Black Pepper :-
- Most commonly used spice in order to enrich the flavor of any recipes
- Stimulates the taste buds in such a way that it triggers alarm to the stomach to increase hydrochloric acid secretion, thereby improving digestion, which is essential for digestion of protein and other food components.
- Promotes sweating and urination.
- 1/2 tsp has .9gm of carbs.
6. Coriander Powder :-
- One of the most used healing agent that controls blood sugar, cholesterol and free radical production.
- 1tsp contain 1 gm of carbs.
7. Ginger :-
- Contains chemicals that reduces nausea and inflammation.
- Researchers believe the chemicals work primarily in the stomach and intestines, but they may also work in the brain and nervous system to control nausea.
- Fresh ginger root of 10 gm is around 1.5 gm of carbs.
- It can reduce blood sugar levels, helps in digestion, reduce menstrual pain, lower cholesterol, prevents cancer and helps improve brain function.
We recommend buying spices by how frequently you use them. If you use a lot of something and you know that, buy in bulk. It is often cheaper to buy in bulk and if you are going through a spice quickly, you have less to worry about in terms of freshness. If you use very little of a spice, or are only planning on using it once, buy the smallest container possible so you are not wasting it. If you happen to fall in love with a spice, you can always go back and purchase the larger size. Spices lose their flavor over time, and though they don’t usually “go bad” they can become less aromatic and vibrant, warranting their disposal.
Now you are armed with good keto spicy knowledge and great recipes. So wait up, GO Spice up your Keto journey!!!